Sunday 3 March 2013

Travel As A 'Lone Ranger' - St. John's Fort & St. Paul's Church @ Melacca

If anyone of you happened to read my post about my 2013 resolutions aka 21 to-do-list, backpacking is in the list. As thought this three days and 2 nights trip was not considered as a backpacking trip but it was the first step I made - travelling on my own! The tittle says it all. Travel as a lone ranger. Do you know the meaning of 'lone ranger'? It means, one who acts alone and without the consultation or approval of others. Indeed. I 'ran' to Melacca without informing my parents. No idea how you think but I'm quite proud of myself. I was so brave to go a unfamiliar place ALONE. And why I chose Melacca as the first station of my backpacking's life? Because it's like Penang, a lot of heritage sites and stuffs to see and it's cheap. My first day spent at Melacca was quite adventurous and interesting. 

Took a cab > Went to TBS Bus terminal > Reached Melaka Sentral > Failed to find a bus > Took a taxi (risk of overcharging by the taxi drivers) > Reached Jalan Portugis > Walked around > Failed to find 'Kitito Guest House' > Failed to find the guest house's owner's number > Was walking around the area three to four times > Opened GPS > Checked their website for their contact number > Called > Ta-da! Finally reached at the guest house SAFELY > And it was already 4pm. 

But I'm not going to blog about the first-day, in fact, I'm blogging about the second-day! Because I have only the photos of this two places in my flickr. Dah -_-

St. John's Fort and St. Paul's Church.


DSC_1296
There is a long staircase you've to climb before you can reach St. Paul Church. 


DSC_1304
Me saying hi with an awkward smile. The lighting was so niceeeeee! Nice to selca. 
PS: This is a non edited photo. 


DSC_1298
The trees and the pathway made me felt like I was in Europe. lol. 


DSC_1306
Again, this is a non-edited pic! 


DSC_1315
St. Paul Church.
It was originally a Catholic Chapel built in 1951, named the Mother of God or Our Lady of the Hill during the Portuguese reign. Only after a few years, this chapel was enlarged and transformed into a church by the Portuguese. after the Dutch wrested Melacca from the Portuguese in 1641, they made it into a Dutch Reformed Churh and renamed as St. Paul's Church.  



DSC_1313
Oh Hi. This is St. Francis Xavier. 
Francis Xavier was a missionary was an influential in spreading Catholicism. His body stayed here for 8 months (but wikipeadia says 2 years) before he was buried in Goa, India. Therefore, they built a statue of him, looking at the sea.  


DSC_1338

Do you notice the missing right arm? Someone said it was because a tree fell off and broke off the arm. 




DSC_1319


DSC_1330


DSC_1337
The more than 500 year old wall.


DSC_1334
So I must take a picture! When you travel alone, you don't really care about the angle of your selca photo. Otherwise it would be tiring of you wanna look good in every single photo!


DSC_1321
Thats it. I'll try to update most often :)

2 comments:

  1. bravo!!!! u motivate me to do so!!!
    backpacking and explore the journey alone!!!!
    nice one!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment!! it was really exciting to travel a lone :P

      Delete